Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Working Hard When Things Don't Work

I hit .500 today. I wish I was talking about a few trips to the batter's box, but I mean in terms of getting things done correctly.

After a ton of trouble with the mixer today, I finally fixed the problem. The most frustrating part of it all was that I didn't do anything differently than I normally do. Everything was set up the same way, and for whatever reason, it didn't work at first. Luckily we got on without a problem, and on time too. I didn't have as much luck with my package for the Cape League TV Show, though.

I was assigned to do a story on Whitecaps Manager Tom Myers. I spoke with him, a couple players, and the General Manager as well. The video looked great, I got some awesome sound bytes, and I had a good time doing it. However, when I captured the footage, there was no sound.

Apparently, there was an issue with some of the equipment that another reporter had as well with his camera. The microphone was showing levels for audio, but they weren't registering. No matter what the problem was, the equipment didn't work. It's easy to blame it on the camera, but the point is, the package isn't done. I have to take responsibility for it.

I feel like a struggling hitter , one of the guys who nails the ball, but it always ends up right at someone. Teammates saying "It'll be okay" don't make it any better. The only solution is to keep plugging away and hope you get that first bloop hit. I haven't had a string of mistakes, but I still need to deal with the problem rather than let it eat me up. It's the same way for any broadcaster (or working person for that matter).

No comments:

ESPN MLB Rumors