Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Off Day Not a Day Off

If you check out the Brewster Whitecaps Blog (which I write), you'll see the confusion caused by the weather on the Cape the last few days. I had no idea the Whitecaps were supposed to have a game today until that game was postponed, because I was in work.

That fiasco reminded me that broadcasters really don't have a day off until the offseason. (Even then there's work to be done.) There are always changes in the schedule. There may be times it "frees up" a night, but whether or not there's a game, there are plenty of things to learn.

Whether it's simple research, speaking with the players or coaches, or even the opposing organization, to be a great broadcaster you have to be Mr./Mrs. [Team Name].

By immersing myself in the Cape League, I feel it's made me a better broadcaster and reporter in general, not just baseball gamecaller.

I guess I should get back to work.

No comments:

ESPN MLB Rumors