Saturday, June 13, 2009

Opening Day

It's not too often that a team opens it season with a tie, but that's the Cape League for you sometimes. The team I broadcast for, the Brewster Whitecaps, took a 2-0 lead into the top of the ninth yesterday, but the Falmouth Commodores scored two to tie it. There was time for one extra inning before the game was called for darkness.

I'd say it was a unique game, but it's not even close to the first tie I've called in baseball. In fact, I've called more ties in baseball than I have in hockey. As annoying as ties may be, it's the quirks in baseball that I enjoy most about it. Whether it's the different sizes and shapes of stadiums, the varying rules between the American and National Leagues, or fog being the best closer, there's always something.

Luckily, there were no quirks in getting the game on air yesterday. While getting all the equipment to work has often been a battle, things ran smoothly yesterday. I was talking with the other broadcasters, and we noticed how well the team seemed to be working together, especially in a play at the plate that saved the tie. We felt the same chemistry ourselves, and we hope to keep that up all season.

1 comment:

JohnnyC said...

Looks good, Nick. You should add those links from the previous post into a sidebar so that your readers can reference them or you could follow them so you find out when they get updated. I'll try to make it up when the Caps and the Kets face off later this summer.

ESPN MLB Rumors