Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It Isn't Day One...

I'm ready to start my third season as broadcaster for the Brewster Whitecaps of the Cape Cod Baseball League. Their first regular season game is Friday, June 12th at Stonybrook Field, where they'll take on the Falmouth Commodores.

I've had a lot of fun spending my summers on the Cape, but it hasn't been as glamorous as it sounds. I started this blog partly because I wanted to show people all the work that goes into being a great sports broadcaster. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it still takes a lot of dedication, even when you don't want to do work. Anyone can happily call a 2-1 win, but what happens when the game is a blowout for either side? It's not as convenient as you may think for your team to be up 10-1 in the sixth inning.

In preparation for the season, I printed off a bio for each and every player on the rosters for all ten teams in the CCBL. I have to make an equipment checklist, make sure everything works, and have at least one in-person pre-season meeting with my broadcast team. Between Graham Doty, Craig Durham and I, we hope to reinvent the Whitecaps' website and create entertaining but professional broadcasts each and every time out.

I'll keep updating the blog to track my progress. It will keep me disciplined, and hopefully give you a lesson or a laugh along the way. (I'm still learning, and I'm always open to suggestions. Leave a comment about me, the broadcasts, or the website if you like.)

No comments:

ESPN MLB Rumors