Sunday, June 21, 2009

Not so Mist-erable

Tonight was an adventure to say the least. I'm glad we got our broadcast up and running, even if the game was called after an inning. We set the equipment up in the most aggressive blowing mist I've ever experienced. I never thought a tarp combined with a few sweatshirts would provide good enough cover for a mixer and two computers, plus three microphones, but they were all dry when we were done without the help of a towel.

It was kind of fun calling a game in such weird weather, but I' glad the game didn't go any longer than it did before it was postponed. It wouldn't have been safe for the players to keep going, especially the pitchers. One of my broadcast partners (Craig Durham) said he heard one of the pitchers saying he felt like he was throwing 55 miles an hour. (I'd love to throw that speed with a little knuckling myself, but that's not happening anytime soon.) It looked like there was no traction on the mound.

I'm surprised that the Brewster Vice President didn't take any photos of me with my head buried under the tarp, checking the sound levels, making sure our broadcast was recording. The game didn't end up going official, but we got on the air. That's all that matters to me. It's funny to think that managing a couple metal boxes can be such a challenge sometimes.

No comments:

ESPN MLB Rumors