Monday, June 29, 2009

A Double-Edged Sword

Today was one of the better games of the season for the Brewster Whitecaps. The first six batters they sent to the plate got on base, and five of them scored. The worst offense in the league scored 8 runs, and ended up winning (after letting the opposing team tie it, of course).

According to the totally overblown phrase, a win is a win. But nobody can say the same for broadcasting. After some internet problems before the game, we got everything running smoothly. But shortly after the first pitch of the top of the first, the equipment became an issue.

After a bit of troubleshooting, the broadcast was back on air, but not before I tossed play-by-play to Craig for a few batters. By the time I got it back, the Whitecaps were on their scoring binge. Most of my attention was on getting the broadcast on air, not on being the best broadcaster myself. As a result, the big inning didn't go nearly as smoothly as it could have.

Brewster still won the game, but that's not why I was happy at the end of the night. I finished my portion of the play-by-play with some gusto, and learned a lesson too:

Even when things are going great, something can go wrong. It's the broadcasters' responsibility to minimize them and take something away from the mistakes they make.

No comments:

ESPN MLB Rumors